Base Curriculum updates are scheduled twice a year, making it easier for you to know exactly when projects need updating so that you can plan accordingly. Keeping projects updated ensures you’re using the highest-quality, latest versions of the Base Curriculum and prevents you from running into broken links or outdated resources.
In this article, you can find:
- More Detailed Information on Summit Learning’s strategy for releasing updates
- How to accept project updates
For information on why we recommend accepting updates, click here.
- Project Update Day
- View Automatic Project Updates
- Turn Automatic Updates on or off for Projects
- Manually Accept or Decline Updates
- Updates to Previous Years' Projects
- Revert an Updated Project to its Previous Version
- Accepting Focus Area Updates
Project Update Day
Projects within the Base Curriculum will only be updated two days a year. These two days are called Update Days. There is an Update Day in July before the fall semester and an Update Day in December before the spring semester.
If the Summit Learning Curriculum Team has made updates to a project within a course you are teaching, on Update Day, you will be able to review a list of all the content that has been added, removed, or tweaked within the project.
- If you have not made any personal customizations to the project yourself and you have not opted out of receiving automatic updates, on Update Day, we will update your project automatically for you, and you will be sure to have the most up-to-date project content.
- If you have made personal customizations to the project, we will not automatically update your project, and on Update Day, you will have the option to review the list of changes we have made to the project in the Base Curriculum. You can then decide if you want to update your project to the Base Curriculum’s most up-to-date version, which will override any personal customizations you have made, or if you want to incorporate the updates into your project manually.
The Update Day in July will affect projects in the first semester and second semester sequence in the Base Curriculum course.
The Update Day in December will only affect projects in the second semester, following the sequence in the Base Curriculum course.
View Automatic Project Updates
Non-customized projects from the Base Curriculum will receive automatic updates. To view updates made to non-customized projects from the Base Curriculum:
- Click on a course from your list of courses, or from the Curriculum page
- Click on a project that you have not customized from the Base Curriculum
- At the top of the Project page, you will see a banner that reads, “This project has been updated to the latest version.”
- Click on the button in the banner that reads “See what’s been updated.”
Turn automatic updates for projects on or off
To turn on automatic updates for a project within a course that already exists:
- Click on a course from your list of courses or from the Curriculum page.
- Select Edit Course.
- Select Settings at the top right.
- Within the Course Settings modal, click on the "Auto-accept updates from the current year's Base Curriculum" toggle to turn it on.
Teachers can also turn on automatic updates for projects within a new course they are creating by toggling the "Auto-accept updates from the current year's Base Curriculum" option on during the creation process.
Teachers also have the ability to opt-out of automatic updates.
To turn off automatic updates for a project:
- Click Edit Course and select Settings in the top right corner.
- Within the Course Settings modal, click on the "Auto-accept updates from the current year's Base Curriculum" toggle to turn it off.
Manually Accept or Decline Updates for Current Projects
Teachers have the ability to accept or decline updates for customized projects. To do so:
- When there are updates available for projects, you will see an orange banner at the top of the project page indicating that curriculum updates are available for the project
- Click the Review Updates button within the orange banner.
A pop-up explaining why updates occur on the platform will appear. Click Review Updates.
- View the updates in the “What has been changed, removed, and tweaked” pop-up window that appears.
- On the “What’s been tweaked” page, you can choose to accept all updates or not to update now using the buttons on the page.
- When you choose to "Accept all updates", you will be directed to the project page where the updated version will be displayed, and a green confirmation pop-up message will appear at the bottom left of your screen confirming that the project has been updated.
When you choose "Don't update now":
- Confirm you want to decline updates by selecting the “Decline anyway” button on the next page.
Things to be aware of:
When we send updates to your Project, your Project is completely replaced with the new, updated copy. This means that any modifications you’ve made to the Project will be replaced upon accepting updates.
To keep your modifications, you can:
- Create a copy of the new, updated Project and edit your original Project by adding in the updates you see in the updated Project
- Create a copy of your old Project and accept updates for the Project, then manually put in your modifications into the new Project
Updates to Previous Years' Projects
As of the 2022-2023 academic year, Base Updates are now available for projects from previous years (starting 2019-2020 academic year).
When an update on a previous year's project is available, you will see "This project has updates available" when reviewing the project.
We recommend using the most current Base Curriculum but understand that you may have customized your projects. If you want to update, you may preview what the updated project looks like or accept updates.
Revert an Updated Project to its Previous Version
Teachers have the ability to revert the updates made to a project if they would like. We highly recommend using the latest versions of projects available in our base curriculum. Learn why here.
To revert a project:
- Navigate to the “What’s been tweaked” page within the “What’s Been Added, Removed, and Tweaked” pop-up .
Click “restore older version.”
- Confirm you want to revert updates by selecting the “Restore archived version” button on the next page.
- You will then be directed to the project page, and will receive a green pop-up message on the bottom left confirming that your project has been reverted to the previous version.
Accepting Focus Area Updates
Whenever updates are made to Base Curriculum Focus Areas, you'll see "Base Updates" on your course page or "Review Updates" on your Focus Area page. Accepting these updates will bring Base Curriculum Updates into your copy of the Focus Area.
Your Focus Area will not be automatically updated with Base Curriculum updates. This will ensure that any modifications you've made to your copy of the Focus Area will not be removed. However, this will also mean your copy of the Focus Area will not be the most up-to-date with our curriculum. Because of this, we highly encourage you to review your Focus Areas and accept updates.
To accept Focus Area updates:
1. When there are updates for a Focus Area, you will see “Review Updates” on the top right of the page.
2. Under the Review Changes section on the right, there will be a summary of what has been updated. Look through the Focus Area to view the specific changes.
4. Click “Accept All” or “Ignore All”
Things to be aware of
- You may choose to accept or ignore all updates. Currently, we do not have a way to select specific updates to accept.
- If you choose to ignore updates, you will not have a way to accept the updates again.