This article will cover text-to-speech for students on their assessments:
- How do I enable text-to-speech on assessments?
- How do I know if a students has text-to-speech enabled on their assessments?
- How can students adjust the speed of the text-to-speech tool?
How do I enable text-to-speech on assessments?
Only platform admins can enable and disable text-to-speech on assessments for students. If you would like to enable this feature for a student, reach out to your school’s admin to have them enable the feature for a student.
After text-to-speech on assessments is enabled for a student, they will see text-to-speech icons next to the question prompt, question answer options, and passages within their assessments. To hear the text read aloud, the student selects the icons.
How do I know if a student has text-to-speech enabled on their assessments?
There are two ways that teachers can see if a student has the text-to-speech feature enabled for their assessments.
From the Students page:
- Click “Setup”
- Click Students
- Find the student who you are wanting to see if text-to-speech on assessments is enabled
- Click the three dots next to the student's name
- Click the Manage Focus Areas tab
- If text-to-speech on assessments is enabled, then you will see:
- If text-to-speech on assessments is disabled, then you will see:
From the assessments page:
- Go to the Course page
- Select the Assessments tab
- In the Requests section, find the request for your student
- If text-to-speech on assessments is enabled, then the request will include “Text-to-speech enabled”
How can I adjust the speed of the text-to-speech tool?
Students are able to adjust the speed at which the text-to-speech tool reads their assessments aloud. To do so, students select the text-to-speech icon on their assessment, to see the currently set speed, and then can select from a drop down of speed options to adjust the speed. The speed will default to the most recent previously selected speed.