Platform admins can enable text-to-speech on assessments for students with IEP/504/ELD plans that require assessments to be read aloud. When you enable text-to-speech on assessments for a student, it enables text-to-speech on assessments for all content and diagnostic assessments across all courses that the student will take.
If you need to disable text-to-speech on assessments for a student at any time, you can follow the following steps, but toggle “Off” for “Text-to-Speech on Assessments”.
To enable text-to-speech for each student:
- Click Setup in the left navigation bar
- Click Students
- Find the student who needs text-to-speech on assessments
- Click the three dots next to the student's name
- Find the Text-to-Speech in Content Assessments section
- Select Enable Text-to-Speech
- Toggle Disabled to Enabled
- Check “I confirm that this student requires text-to-speech on focus area content assessments.”
- Click “Save”
After text-to-speech on assessments is enabled for a student, they will see text-to-speech icons next to the question prompt, question-answer options, and passages within their assessments.
To hear the text read aloud, the student should click the speech icon.