Mock Student View is a feature that we’re piloting to provide teachers of selected schools with the ability to view their courses as a student. Enabling Mock Student View lets teachers:
- Explore how students use the platform to complete their coursework and prepare for mentoring check-ins
- Try out specific platform actions students will take for your course—such as taking assessments or submitting projects
- Demonstrate the student platform experience to other teachers, students, families and caregivers (without using a real student account)
On this page:
- How do I view as my Mock Student?
- How do I set up Mock Student View?
- How should I use my Mock Student?
How do I view as my mock student?
There are two ways that you can view as your Mock Student.
To view as your Mock Student from Educator Tools:
- From the left navigation menu, click “Educator Tools”
- Click “Your Mock Student View”
- Click “Start Viewing” on the top right
To view as your Mock Student from your avatar:
- Click your avatar on the bottom left of the platform
- Click “Go to your Mock Student View”
How do I set up Mock Student View?
- To set up your first course in Mock Student View, navigate to Educator Tools on the left side of the screen.
- On the Educator Tools page, select “Your Mock Student View.”
- You will now be taken to the Mock Student View setup page. This page provides an overview of the feature. Please take a moment to review before selecting “Get Started!”
- After clicking “Get Started!” you will be asked to enable Mock Student View for a course that you teach. Select from Subject and Grade level drop-down menus that you would like to set up. When you’re done, click “Next.”
- Now, you will be presented with courses that most closely match your selection. If your course is not listed, select from the list of available courses in the drop-down menu. Select the course that you teach, then click “Next.”
- On the confirmation page, you can review the courses that you have just enabled Mock Student View for. In addition to your courses, the Mentoring view will automatically be enabled at this time. Click “Continue” once you have reviewed this screen.
- You will be invited to check out Mock Student View for the course you’ve just enabled. If you would like to do so, click “Yes, Check it Out!”
- You will now be taken to Your Mock Student View!
How should I use my Mock Student?
Assign a project and see how it looks as your student
One valuable way that Mock Student View can help develop teacher’s understanding with the platform is by assigning a project as a teacher and viewing it as a student.
- In your teacher view, select a project and assign to your Mock Student by clicking “Assign Project” in the upper right-hand corner, then select your *Mock Student* to assign.
- Select checkpoints to assign to your Mock Student.
- Now view as your Mock Student.
- From the Year page, click on the project to experience the project from the Mock Student’s perspective.
Attempt a content assessment as your Mock Student
Mock Student View is a useful tool to take content assessments as a student in your course.
- In your Mock Student’s Year page, navigate to the Year page and select a Power Focus Area.
- As your Mock Student, submit a request to take the content assessment by clicking “Request.”
- Once requested, you'll need to approve the Content Assessment request as a teacher. To do this, exit Mock Student View by navigating to the bottom left-hand corner, hover next to your name, and click “Stop Viewing.”