Note: This feature is currently only available for schools using Google Apps for Education on the Summit Learning Platform. If your school uses Microsoft Office 365, please contact us and we'll help set up document sharing.
On the Summit Learning Platform, students complete their work in Google Docs. By default, only the teacher who assigns the document and the student working on the document can access it. You may want other teachers to be able to see student work:
- If mentors want to check in with students on their work
- If teachers are co-teaching a project and both teachers need to access the documents
You'll need to update your Google Apps for Education account settings. Keep in mind that updating these account settings will not change document sharing permissions for projects that teachers have already assigned. If teachers want to share past student work on Google Docs with other teachers, they'll need to share that work directly from the Student Work folder on Google Drive.
If you're a school leader:
- Reach out to the person at your school who is the Google Apps for Education admin (ex: the person who set up your school's Google Apps for Education account). They'll need to follow the instructions below.
- Once the account settings have been updated, enter your school's Google Apps for Education account domain on your setup checklist, under Set up a Google Group (optional).
If you're the Google admin for your school:
- Log into your Google admin account to access the Admin console
- Click Security
- Click Show more
- Under Advanced settings, click Manage API client access
- Under Client Name, enter 379798819547-t2e9jtt9o1t1k44o1he8jq6p1jttkde4.apps.googleusercontent.com
- Under One or More API Scopes, enter https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.group
- Click Authorize
- Reach back out to your school admin so that he/she can update your school's Google Apps for Education account domain on your setup checklist
Once you've updated these account settings, the Summit Learning Platform will use groups authorization to automatically create and manage Google Groups with teachers at your school. The platform creates a group with all teachers at a school, as well as a group for each platform section at that school containing the section's teacher(s). Every new document created on Google Docs will be shared, as specified by the appropriate document sharing settings specified in the platform:
- Restricted sharing: A student's Google Docs will only be shared with teachers who teach the student in a section that uses the relevant project
- Site-wide sharing: A student's Google Docs will be shared with teachers at the school
- District-wide sharing: A student's Google Docs will be shared with all teachers for all schools on the platform in that site’s district