The Lockdown Browser is a Chrome extension that prevents students from viewing other tabs or windows while taking content assessments.
Students request and teachers approve content assessments as usual. When students click “Start Assessment”, the locked experience will begin. If students close assessment windows, students will need to request their assessments again.
To enable Lockdown Browser at your school:
- Install the Lockdown Browser Chrome Extension (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/assessment-companion/lojeahlfbkkiopgolmojagpemoflmkhn) on student computers. You can either have an IT admin install the extension or you can have students install it themselves.
- Have your school leader or site admin email email@example.com with the following information:
- Explain that you want to turn on Lockdown Browser for your school
- Specify the exact date that you want to turn the Lockdown browser on. The Lockdown Browser Chrome extension must be installed on all student computers before we can turn the feature on.
- A member of the Summit Learning support team will turn on Lockdown Browsers for you.
After the support team turns the Lockdown Browser on, the chrome extension must be installed on student computers in order for students to start content assessments. If students start an assessment without 1) the extension installed or 2) in a non-chrome browser, they will get an error message asking them to install the browser extension.
Lockdown Bowser Limitations
Calculators: If student is taking a content assessment that requires a calculator they will need either a physical calculator or have the feature turned off for them. We aren’t able to turn this locked experience on selectively for certain assessments. It is all or nothing.
Accessibility Shortcuts: Since we make the assessment full-screen here are some keyboard shortcuts that can be used:
- Ctrl + Shift and + | Increase screen scale, making items appear larger on your screen.
- Ctrl + Shift and – | Decrease screen scale, making items appear smaller on your screen.
- Ctrl + Shift and ) | Reset screen scale to the default setting.
- Ctrl + ALT and Z | Turn on spoken feedback