Assessment Mode is a Chrome extension that helps reduce the chance of students viewing other tabs or windows while taking Content Assessments.
Students request and teachers approve Content Assessments as usual. When a student clicks “Start Assessment”, the assessment experience will begin. If the student closes the window before completing the assessment, they will need to request the assessment again.
Note: there are workarounds to bypass this mode, so teachers should monitor students as they normally would during assessments
To enable this feature at your school:
- Install the Assessment Mode Chrome Extension on all student computers*. You can either have an IT professional install the extension or have students install it themselves.
- Next, the school leader or site admin should email email@example.com with the following information:
- Explain that you want to turn on Assessment Mode for your school.
- The Chrome extension must be installed on all student computers before we can enable the feature.
- A member of the Summit Learning support team will enable the feature for you.
*The Chrome extension must be installed on student computers in order for students to start Content Assessments. If a student starts an assessment in a non-Chrome browser or in Chrome but without the extension installed, they will get an error message asking them to install the browser extension.
Communicating the Assessment Mode to your students:
Assessment Mode Limitations
Calculators: Teachers can indicate whether or not they want to allow their student to use the calculator during assessments for a particular focus area (even with Assessment Mode enabled). You can learn more about calculators here.
Accessibility Shortcuts: Since we make the assessment full-screen, here are some keyboard shortcuts that can be used:
- Ctrl + Shift and + | Increase screen scale, making items appear larger on your screen.
- Ctrl + Shift and – | Decrease screen scale, making items appear smaller on your screen.
- Ctrl + Shift and ) | Reset screen scale to the default setting.
- Ctrl + ALT and Z | Turn on spoken feedback
For Google admins
- Go to https://admin.google.com/AdminHome?hl=en#ChromeAppList (Device Management –> Chrome Management –> App Management)
- Enter the Assessment Mode ID in the Search field on the left: lojeahlfbkkiopgolmojagpemoflmkhn
- Click on Assessment Mode and then User Settings
- You can then Force Install the app to a group in your organization