Assessment Mode is a Chrome extension that helps reduce the chance of students viewing other tabs or windows while taking Content Assessments.
Students request and teachers approve Content Assessments as usual. When a student clicks “Start Assessment”, the assessment experience will begin. If the student closes the window before completing the assessment, they will need to request the assessment again.
To enable this feature at your school:
- Install the Assessment Mode Chrome Extension on all student computers*. You can either have an IT professional install the extension or have students install it themselves.
- Next, school leader or site admin should email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Explain that you want to turn on Assessment Mode for your school.
- The Chrome extension must be installed on all student computers before we can enable the feature.
- A member of the Summit Learning support team will enable the feature for you.
*The Chrome extension must be installed on student computers in order for students to start Content Assessments. If a student starts an assessment in a non-Chrome browser or in Chrome but without the extension installed, they will get an error message asking them to install the browser extension.
Communicating the Assessment Mode to your school community
Assessment Mode Limitations
Calculators: Teachers can indicate whether or not they want to allow their student to use the calculator during assessments for a particular focus area (even with Assessment Mode enabled). You can learn more about calculators here.
Accessibility Shortcuts: Since we make the assessment full-screen, here are some keyboard shortcuts that can be used:
- Ctrl + Shift and + | Increase screen scale, making items appear larger on your screen.
- Ctrl + Shift and – | Decrease screen scale, making items appear smaller on your screen.
- Ctrl + Shift and ) | Reset screen scale to the default setting.
- Ctrl + ALT and Z | Turn on spoken feedback
For Google admins
- Go to https://admin.google.com/AdminHome?hl=en#ChromeAppList (Device Management –> Chrome Management –> App Management)
- Enter the Assessment Mode ID in the Search field on the left: lojeahlfbkkiopgolmojagpemoflmkhn
- Click on Assessment Mode and then User Settings
- You can then Force Install the app to a group in your organization