The Assessment Companion, lockdown browser, is a Chrome extension that prevents students from viewing other tabs or windows while taking Content Assessments.
Students request and teachers approve Content Assessments as usual. When a student clicks “Start Assessment”, the locked experience will begin. If the student closes the window before completing the assessment, they will need to request the assessment again.
If students use the Read Aloud extension for Content Assessments, make sure that students have the extension is open before requesting the assessment.
To enable the lockdown browser at your school:
- Install the Assessment Companion Chrome Extension on all student computers*. You can either have an IT professional install the extension or have students install it themselves.
- Next, school leader or site admin should email email@example.com with the following information:
- Explain that you want to turn on the lockdown browser for your school.
- Specify the exact date when you want to enable the lockdown browser. The Chrome extension must be installed on all student computers before we can enable the feature.
- A member of the Summit Learning support team will enable the feature for you.
- To turn off lockdown browser for specific students, please submit a ticket to the helpdesk.
*After the support team enables the lockdown browser on, the Chrome extension must be installed on student computers in order for students to start Content Assessments. If a student starts an assessment in a non-Chrome browser or in Chrome but without the extension installed, they will get an error message asking them to install the browser extension.
Communicating the Lockdown Browser to your school community
Lockdown Browser Limitations
Calculators: Teachers can indicate whether or not they want to allow their student to use the calculator during assessments for a particular focus area (even with lockdown browser enabled). You can learn more about calculators here.
Accessibility Shortcuts: Since we make the assessment full-screen, here are some keyboard shortcuts that can be used:
- Ctrl + Shift and + | Increase screen scale, making items appear larger on your screen.
- Ctrl + Shift and – | Decrease screen scale, making items appear smaller on your screen.
- Ctrl + Shift and ) | Reset screen scale to the default setting.
- Ctrl + ALT and Z | Turn on spoken feedback
For Google admins
- Go to https://admin.google.com/AdminHome?hl=en#ChromeAppList (Device Management –> Chrome Management –> App Management)
- Enter the Assessment Companion ID in the Search field on the left: lojeahlfbkkiopgolmojagpemoflmkhn
- Click on Assessment Companion and then User Settings
- You can then Force Install the app to a group in your organization