Assessment Companion is a Chrome extension that prevents students from viewing other tabs or windows while taking content assessments.
Students request and teachers approve content assessments as usual. When a student clicks “Start Assessment”, the locked experience will begin. If the student closes the window before completing the assessment, they will need to request the assessment again.
To enable the lockdown browser at your school:
- Install the Assessment Companion Chrome Extension on student computers. You can either have an IT admin install the extension, or have students install it themselves.
- Have your school leader or site admin email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Explain that you want to turn on the lockdown browser for your school.
- Specify the exact date when you want to enable the lockdown browser. The Chrome extension must be installed on all student computers before we can enable the feature.
- A member of the Summit Learning support team will enable the feature for you.
After the support team enables the lockdown browser on, the Chrome extension must be installed on student computers in order for students to start content assessments. If a student starts an assessment in a non-Chrome browser or in Chrome but without the extension installed, they will get an error message asking them to install the browser extension.
Communicating the Lockdown Browser to your school community
Lockdown Browser Limitations
Calculators: If a student is taking a content assessment that requires a calculator, they will need to have a physical calculator or will need take the content assessment without the lockdown browser. You can approve assessments without lockdown on the content assessment approval page.
Accessibility Shortcuts: Since we make the assessment full-screen, here are some keyboard shortcuts that can be used:
- Ctrl + Shift and + | Increase screen scale, making items appear larger on your screen.
- Ctrl + Shift and – | Decrease screen scale, making items appear smaller on your screen.
- Ctrl + Shift and ) | Reset screen scale to the default setting.
- Ctrl + ALT and Z | Turn on spoken feedback