The Northwest Evaluation Association (NWEA) Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) Growth Reading and Math assessments are important, computer-adaptive tests given twice to measure our students’ reading and math skills. MAP has a high degree of validity and reliability, and has been nationally-normed with thousands of students across the country--allowing performance comparisons with same-age peers.
Summit Learning asks for the MAP Growth Assessment to be taken at least twice a year, ideally in the fall and spring. The potential testing windows as dictated by NWEA MAP can be found below:
- Fall: 8/15 through 11/30
- Winter: 12/01 through 2/28 (2/29 on leap years)
- Spring: 3/1 through 6/15
- Summer: 6/16 through 8/14
- (Action needed) Tech Setup Logistics: You will need to set aside about an hour to complete the setup and roster upload.
a. *Share this with your district tech team: NWEA System and Bandwidth Requirements
b. NWEA Setup Checklist and Roster Upload Info
c. NWEA Setup Website
- (Recommended Action) Parent Communication:
a. NWEA Parent Guide to MAP Growth Assessment
i. Links to translated Parent Guides
b. Sample parent letter introducing MAP
- (Inform only) Context:
a. NWEA MAP Growth Assessment Fact Sheet
b. NWEA MAP Growth Overview and Testing Best Practices
Day of Test
- Create a Proctor Schedule with at least 1 roamer per grade level
a. Note: The BEST assessment results have occurred when the following is true:
i. Students are able to finish each test in one consecutive 90-minute session
ii. Students take one assessment per day.
- Proctors setup class arrangement to support testing
- Setup all classrooms with necessary testing information (test session name, password, etc) on the board
- Take attendance and note absent students for make-up testing.
- Make sure every students’ computer is charged and is working
- PUMP UP students with scripted language from shared Google slides presentation (Roamer has put session name and password in presentation)
- Get kids started!
- Teacher circulates
- Teacher communicates with Roamer regarding test issues or if teacher needs break
- When student finishes test, have student show teacher score to do a quick comparison with previous test score.
Monitoring Test Completion
- Use the “Students without Valid Test Results” report to monitor which students still need to finish their tests.
- After logging into the MAP system, go to View Reports -> Operational Reports
- Click the Students Without Valid Test Results link
- Choose the appropriate filters
The report updates nightly so if a student finished their test today he/she will still appear on the list.
Important Resources for Day of Testing
- (Action required) Data Upload
Instructions for Exporting Results and Uploading to Summit Learning
- Data Analysis - more to come!
Understanding the MAP Dashboard in the Platform
- Parent Communication
Sample parent letter sharing scores